On the surface, the term ‘progressive web app’ may not sound revolutionary. After all, what difference can a URL and a few lines of code possibly offer you? The short answer is, a great deal more than you might think. When you start digging deeper, you discover that progressive web apps are a highly-advanced version of your classic website. In this blog post we will try to explain what progressive web apps are and why they are so important for your business.
What is a Progressive Web App?
Why You Need a Progressive Web App
A traditional website offers you a wealth of benefits. The most important are as follows:
A website is available anytime, anywhere. To access it, all you need is a device connected to the internet.
- A website works on practically any device. This means you don’t need to invest in a range of devices to cater to all your customers. If your website doesn’t work properly on your computer, you can easily show it to your customers on their mobile phones.
- A website allows for a variety of different devices to be used to view the same content. This is one of the biggest advantages of a website over a regular app.
- A website has a variety of ways to be accessed — from a desktop computer to a laptop to a mobile phone. This means you can reach as many people as possible with your content.
- A website can be used to host content such as videos and images. This is a great feature for online businesses that deal in digital products or services.
How to Build a Progressive Web App
You’ve decided that a progressive web app is a good idea for your business. Now you need to figure out how to make it happen. Fortunately, thanks to the power of NoCode and the growing number of frameworks and platforms that support the technology, building a progressive web app is fairly straightforward.
Start by choosing a platform that you are the most comfortable with or that provides you with the features that you need. For example, Glide provides a clear straightforward builder that can be used to make great looking internal tools. Softr on the other hand allows you to build Websites and PWAs at the same time!
Now that your app is built on the front end, it’s time to move on to the backend. Your chosen NoCode tool probably already has a backend solution that they prefer. This could be Airtable for the likes of Softr or their own internal data editor like Glide. Different solutions have different benefits - it all depends on how much time you wish to invest and how they best integrate with the tools you already have.
Tips and Tricks for Developing PWAs
If you’re looking to develop a progressive web app, there are a few things you should keep in mind. They include:
- Focus on user experience. Ensure that the whole experience of using your app is as good as it can be. This means reinforcing the functionality within the app, but also making sure that the user’s experience is smooth and enjoyable.
- Build for as many devices as possible. This is especially important for businesses that want to reach out to a large number of customers.
- Use an asset management workflow. Keeping track of all the assets needed to build your app will make it easier for you to manage them.
- Test your app. No matter how good your code is, it won’t work well if it’s not tested.
Progressive web apps are here to stay. They promise to bring the full power of the web to the masses, and they could be the future of online business. With the right strategy and some upfront work, you could be well on your way to a successful progressive web app.
NoCode Development at JMP Studios
If you’re looking for NoCode development for yourself or your company, check out JMP Studios at JMPStudios.xyz where we develop Unlimited NoCode Applications, websites, and automations for one monthly subscription.